Sunday, October 2, 2016

My Ma's Tuna Casserole

This was always a family favorite, and so easy to make. It combines mac and cheese with tuna, and creates a nice, creamy dish that the whole family should enjoy! In order to make this, you have to prepare the mac and cheese according to the instructions on the box, and use a good-sized casserole dish. I like to use a casserole dish anyways, but any bowl or pan that is oven safe can be useful too. Instead of using milk, you use cream, so that the casserole stays creamy. I like to do eye-measurements, but I think I generally put in about 1/3 of a cup of heavy whipping cream. Of course, if you would rather skip more calories, you could substitute the cream with evaporated milk. Use about 1/4 cup of evaporated milk if you prefer.

I don't like generic brand mac and cheese, because the cheese powder is never that great. I always use the Kraft mac and cheese, and I only use the regular. Though you could, if you want to surprise the kids, use the mac and cheese with the unusual shapes. But I find those take a lot longer to cook, and requires more moisture when baking. The actual recipe goes something like this...

2 boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese
Follow instructions on the box. Drain the water. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place drained noodles in casserole dish and add cheese powder pouches and
2 Tablespoons of butter
1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 6-oz can (or packet) of chunk white tuna
Combine together thoroughly. Place in oven for about 15 minutes.
Top with your choice of American cheese slices, grated cheddar cheese, or Panko bread crumbs and place back in hot oven for about 5 minutes.

I like using the packet of tuna, because you don't have to drain them. They should be available in the same section of the grocery store as the cans of tuna. I serve this dish usually with a side of veggies, and sometimes garlic bread, or biscuits. I have created a video describing how to make this dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my cooking blog. I appreciate all opinions shared.