Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Chicken and Dumplings

I love chicken and dumplings!!! It is awesome on a cold, rainy day to warm your body with. I used to make chicken and dumplings all the time for the family. If prepared properly, it is a great dish, and very healthy as well. I used to make the soup homemade. A lot of people take short cuts when making this soup, but I prefer the home made method. You could do like the demonstration in this video...


But if you want to use only homemade soup, this is the recipe I always followed...

For the soup, you take 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken, dice it and place in a 5 quart pot with 3 tablespoons of butter. Cook on medium heat until brown. Add 1/3 cup of flour, with salt and pepper to taste, and about 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream. Add in 3 cups of chicken stock and cook over medium-low heat. At this point I usually like to add diced potatoes, peas and diced carrots. But you can add any vegetable combination you like.

You could use canned biscuits as well, if you like short cuts. I'd recommend using the buttermilk biscuits, as Southern-style gets a little too soggy. I prefer to make homemade dumplings. I follow this recipe...

2 cups of flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Combine these ingredients together in a ceramic bowl. Then prepare the wet ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat...
3/4 cup of milk
2 Tablespoons of butter

Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir. I like to make little round balls from the mixture and drop it into the boiling soup. Sometimes I serve this over a plate of mashed potatoes, but that's only if I do not use the potatoes in the soup. Other than that, it can stand alone as a good meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my cooking blog. I appreciate all opinions shared.