Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Right Tools

When you are cooking, you've got to have the right tools for the job. As quoted from Beavis and Butthead. And if you have a Kitchenaid mixer, like me, you no doubt have a good supply of beaters that came with it. I got mine from a display at Walmart. My sis gave it to me the Christmas I spent in Bozeman because she knows I love to cook and bake. Well, it has been my best friend in the kitchen ever since I got it. But we had to get some of the essential beaters ourselves. I love my mixer! I don't know how I ever survived without it. A hand mixer is good too, but my Kitchenaid stand mixer allows me to mix a cake, or cookies, and still be able to walk away and concentrate on something else, like perhaps cracking eggs, or sifting flour. Well anyways, here is a picture of the collection of beaters the mixers come with...


I have them numbered so we can see each individual tool. I use each one of these when cooking in my kitchen. I'm going to discuss with you what each one is useful for.

1. Known as the wire whisk, or sometimes I have seen it referred to as a "balloon whip". This is great for high-speed mixing. I've used it to whip cream, and I also use it when I am making cakes and frostings. It is perfect for making your batters or anything whip up because it is designed to whip air into your mixture, which makes soft, fluffy cakes, frostings, and makes nice whipped cream for whatever reason.

2. This is called the flat beater, or sometimes the "paddle". You can use this to whip cakes, but it doesn't do as well in getting the essential bubbles in your cake batter to make your cake come out fluffy. I mostly use this attachment to mix things like cookies or brownies. You can also use this to mix in the first ingredients of making bread.

3. This is called the dough hook, or sometimes just the "hook attachment". As it's name implies, this attachment is useful for making bread dough, and rarely, cookie dough. This attachment is perfect for jobs where you do not need to add any air bubbles, but need to create gluten, which is essential in making bread and pizza dough.

Each attachment has a different job. I hope this post has helped you to understand how each one works, and what each one is good for. If you are a serious cook, a Kitchenaid stand-mixer is a must! You can get one anywhere you can find kitchen appliances being sold. Mine is a 300-watt mixer. The more wattage the better, and stronger, your mixer will be. I've had mine since 2011, and it was a display model. I only dropped it once, but it still works like a champ! I cannot imagine life in the kitchen without it. Expect them to be pricey. My sis paid $150 for mine, so she said. LOL! But brand new, they can range from $200 and go up from there, depending on the size of the wattage. Some have arms to hold the bowl, like this one:


Mine is the kind that you just twist the bowl into the base, like this one:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my cooking blog. I appreciate all opinions shared.